Child Custody Attorney in Charleston SC

Child Custody Attorney in Charleston SC

Child custody and visitation are usually the most important issues to parents involved in divorce or separation. You want what is in the best interests of your children, and your children’s best interests are what the law requires the Courts to look out for as well.  You also want to make sure that your rights as a parent are preserved. You need an experienced child custody attorney to help you through this difficult process. Call or email me at RHB Law Firm today to get started!

photodune-3096660-safety-xsWhen child custody or visitation are contested, the court will appoint a guardian ad litem (GAL) for your children. This person may or may not be a lawyer.  His or her job is to be independent and look out for the best interests of your child. Unfortunately, parents who are in the midst of a heated divorce or separation may lose sight of this in an effort to “win the case.” If I am your lawyer, I of course have the best interests of your child in mind, but I also must protect and advocate for your rights, your needs, and your goals. I represent you as your child custody attorney. The Court wants someone to represent your child. This is an important and helpful part of the process.

Until your child is emancipated, usually at eighteen years old, the Court may make such modifications to child custody and visitation as are in your child’s best interests. This does not mean that the Court will second-guess a properly entered custody order, either six months later or even six years later. But if circumstances have substantially changed, you may be entitled to modification of the previously set custody and visitation arrangement.

I find that after the parties come to an agreement, or the Court makes a decision for them if they cannot agree, the parties eventually are able to make the arrangement work. Time heals all wounds, and cooler heads prevail, so to speak. Keep in mind that whatever custody and visitation arrangement you and your spouse agree to, or the Court imposes on you, is simply the fallback position for if you cannot agree to a different arrangement as your child grows up. If the Court says this is your weekend with the kids, but you want to let your spouse take them to Disney World, that is ok. You can deviate from the formal schedule. The Court order is there only for something to enforce if you and your ex-spouse do not get along and cannot make things work.

This is an emotional time for you, and making decisions in this difficult time is much easier when you have a knowledgeable child custody attorney in Charleston, SC on your side. Call or email me at RHB Law Firm, LLC, and I will work with you to find the best result for you and your family.